We pulled into Surrathani station at 7am and, as soon as I’d dumped my bags on the shuttle bus that would take us to the boat pier for Samui, I ran across the road to make a phonecall that I’d spent half the night worrying about. Dave’s mobile rang with a foreign tone, so that was a good start. When he answered, I immediately demanded, ‘Where are you?’
He replied, ‘In the taxi from the airport.’
‘Which airport?’ I fired back, waiting with bated breath.
‘Samui…’
The local populace and several busloads of travellers heading for the Full Moon Party were probably a little taken aback by the delighted whoops emanating from the phonebox. I can honestly say that, after the previous 24 hours, I was completely ecstatic. The party was going ahead…and by God, I was going to enjoy it.
The bus, boat and taxi journey to our beach bungalow resort seemed to take forever. I met some lovely (and crazy) people on the boat, one of whom, Joe from Melbourne, I swapped e-mails with. They all seemed like good people to party with, but I just wanted to get to Samui and see Dave.
Eventually, I was there and poor Dave was sleeping like a baby. I thought about leaving him to it, but containing my excitement would have been like damming the Mekong with a couple of bamboo poles in the rainy season. So instead, I scared the crap out of him by bellowing ‘Sweet as a nut!’ at the top of my voice and jumping on his bed. The next half-hour was every bit as exciting as Christmas when I was a wide-eyed 5year-old. Cards, letters, photos and presents, all sent by the people who love me and delivered by my own little brother. After I’d torn off every shred of wrapping paper, I sat there like a pig in muck, chowing down on Cadbury’s Dairy Milk and staring at my mountain of gifts. I left Dave to get some more sleep and disappeared to read my cards and letters, whilst listening to his latest mix cd ‘Euphonious’. Uplifting trance, exquisitely mixed (God, that boy has a future!) and accompanied by letters from home, had me sitting there in a euphoric stupor, silly grin on my face and tears in my eyes. I always say you need to appreciate the lows to truly appreciate the highs. Every second of Christmas Day had been worth it to make this moment feel so good. To everybody who sent me presents or thoughts, thank you…you helped to make me a very happy man. And the day had hardly begun…the prospect of meeting up with two more friends from home (Jonny and Suki – members of our clubbing family back in London) and the renowned Full Moon Party on Ko Pha Ngan were still to come.
Tragic irony. Mate, post up here when you have a chance. We think you're ok, but all chinese whispers at the moment. Foreign Office helpline constently engaged, but we are trying to make sure. Hope the presents met with your approval. Later...
ReplyDeleteDon