Michael seemed to be managing them all extremely well and, once again, I felt that pang of jealousy to see the kids responding so well to someone else. This didn’t last though, as I realised that the kids all seemed genuinely pleased to see me and Sarita (formerly 6B) seemed almost overjoyed because I’d managed to remember their names (how could I ever forget?!!). To have these wonderful, bright but tough kids pleased to see me was ample confirmation that teaching was the thing for me and I felt thrilled at the prospect of developing rapport with my future pupils. It also confirmed my intentions to come back to Samata School in 3 years time – while my favourite kids were still going to be there…and just in time to see some of them graduate.
I took the opportunity, of course, to hang out with my buddies in the kitchen, Komala and Gyanu as well as dropping in on Soba and Uttam. I was disappointed to learn that Reshma had left the school and was unable to find out whether this was a temporary break to study for exams or a more permanent move to another school. Pratiba was still there, though – soldiering on and smiling…and still asking for explanation on her textbook. I noted with some pleasure that Uttam had been successful in his wish to employ some male teachers – important in terms of discipline for the older boys and a useful lesson in equality for all the kids.
Me and Komala in the ornamental garden at Samata School

Before I left, Uttam invited me to come and see the almost-completed new school in Bhaktapur. This fitted in nicely with my plans as I’d be able to go and take a look at the site, early in the morning, before coming back to the school to say a final goodbye and give some photographs to girls in 7A, who’d asked for them. It would also be an opportunity to say a proper goodbye to Uttam – now a firm friend and someone who would feature strongly in my future.
The evening was all about Edd’s final night out in Kathmandu. He’d arranged a meal at the same roof-top restaurant in Patan that we’d been to when Michael first arrived and there was a good crowd there to see him off. There were two teachers from his school, Jimmy (the project manager of the adult literacy programme he’d been working with in his final week) Ram, Michael, Mahendra, Anna and myself. Mahendra and Ram took care of the ordering, ensuring that we had a fine selection of Newari dishes to accompany good quantities of beer (for the rest of us) and whiskey and coke (for Mahendra and Edd). Edd was presented with several small gifts from the school, including a very fetching topi (traditional Nepali hat), which seemed to have been tailor-made for his head.
We had an excellent time and I particularly enjoyed my chatamari (Newari ‘pizza’) and aloo tareko (spicy fried potatoes). It was a shame to end the party but the teachers had to get back to the school to supervise the children in the boarding house and Ram and Michael needed to get home too. Edd, Mahendra, Anna and I went back to Thamel and continued the party at T&J’s, sinking many more drinks and playing pool in the same appalling fashion as on my birthday, over three months previously. Edd was taking a snooze on the sofas before the end of the night and we virtually had to carry him down the stairs before the fresh air restored him somewhat. I’d stupidly left my camera back at The Great Wall and only got one shot of the whole evening – a slightly wasted looking pair, swaying outside my bedroom door before Edd stumbled off to his bed.
Over the course of the short time I’d known Edd, I’d had to constantly remind myself that he was only 18 years old. He was remarkably mature and self-assured for one so young and I’d particularly admired the way he had tried to stretch himself by taking on the adult literacy programme, on top of teaching at his school. Edd was definitely someone who’d taken a lot from his Nepal experiences and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back there again in the future. In the meantime, I have every intention of staying in touch with him and, hopefully, meeting up for beers (what, no Everest?!!) back at home…and maybe pool, played on a flat table…;-)
We bade each other a drunken farewell and I realised that I didn’t envy him his trip into India (other plans were definitely gathering momentum in my mind) – but I knew he’d make the most of it and have an incredible time with his friend.
A little the worse for wear...
No comments:
Post a Comment