As you can see the weekend was beginning to develop a bit of a pattern. Ryan had tried to explain to me that Singapore was not a sightseeing destination but a lifestyle destination. Alone, I’d have probably tried to see things like Little India and catch up on some of the city’s fascinating colonial history. However, if Ryan hadn’t been living there I’d never have stayed any longer than to change planes and head off to Jo’burg…so I was quite happy to go with the flow as suggested by him. And Sunday was the day when this really paid off.
Once again, I used my hungover morning well and managed to update even more of the blog. At lunchtime we picked up one of the lads, Abdul, in town and headed out to a bar on the ocean called KM 8. I’d heard good things about the place from the boys and I wasn’t disappointed to find a little piece of Ibiza Town in Asia. It was like Ibiza with the sun and sand and a cool, chilled-out party vibe. However, there were no English yobs or litter and the air lacked that special ‘drains’ smell you so often find on the White Island. The booze was a lot less expensive and the quality of the eye-candy was absolutely incredible. We spent the afternoon, slowly drinking through our hangovers with the mandatory Corona and lime and admiring the excellent views from beach to sky and all the interesting little wiggling bits in between. As the evening progressed and the dj actually began to mix a little trance in with his house, we found our dancin feet and worked ourselves into a corner of the dancefloor where some of the other rugby lads had turned up.
Later still we were enjoying the pool, pulling handstands, dropping the ‘People’s Elbow’ and generally having a rip-roaring time. During one particularly unimpressive underwater handstand, I managed to topple over, ricking my back and scraping my forehead on the rough pool bottom at the same time. Slightly chastened and with a ridiculous graze on my head, I spent the rest of the evening chatting to locals and getting a handle on why they’d chosen the ex-pat lifestyle (not that I needed any more reason!) One guy, in particular, called Jeffree, runs a lifestyle magazine over there called Think! While I was at the loo, Ryan let slip that I was interested in travel-writing and, when I came back, I was surprised and very pleased to find Jeffree asking me to send him some stuff to look at. I’ve certainly enjoyed keeping this journal and, if it’s up to scratch, I’d love to get something published just for the hell of it. Watch this space…I’ll keep you informed.
Eventually, it was time to go – Ryan having work in the morning – and we headed back to The Anchorage, agreed that we’d all had an excellent weekend. I could certainly see myself going out there again…but perhaps my liver will need some time to recover before thinking about it. It certainly could be a fun place to live.
No comments:
Post a Comment