September 30, 2004

The Last Supper

Very strange...just had the last home-cooked meal with my parents for a very long time. The strange thing was that it just didn't feel particularly strange. Don't know if any other travellers have felt like this? It might be a product of the fact I've been living a fair distance from the rest of my family for most of the last nine years anyway. Or maybe I'm just a cold-hearted bastard - sorry, mum;-).

To be honest, I don't really feel like I'm truly going away...the other side of the world isn't as far as it used to be. Staying in touch with people (phone, e-mail, weblog etc.) is getting easier all the time...and, for me, friendships and family ties transcend distances as petty as a few thousand miles. As far as I'm concerned, I'm taking a little piece of you all with me...and I'd like to think that a little piece of me will stay at home with each of my friends and family.

Sorry, to get all philosophical and deep - it will surely happen again, although hopefully not too often. I guess that my perspectives are already starting to shift and I'm sure the coming months will give me plenty of food for thought...I'm looking forward to sharing it with you.

Back tomorrow with a full itinerary and maybe some philosophical musings...

No comments:

Post a Comment