October 20, 2004

Spelunking in Donghae

Sounds rude I know, but trust me, I just went down a cave. After the luxury of a lie-in at Oseaek, I finally caught the bus down the coast around 2pm. The main intention was to cut a bit off the journey to Gyeongju, but the thought of heading down the limestone cavern of Cheonggokdonggul had also piqued my interest. As you can see from the photos, there were some pretty crazy formations down there…strange to think that they’ve taken tens of thousands of years to form, sculpted only by the pressure and then continual drip of water. It was worth the detour just for the cave, but dinner made Donghae an exceptional choice. Another barbeque meal – this time with beef and crab – at a restaurant called Koryeojeong. Surrounded at the end of the meal by about 20 empty dishes and one lonely looking barbeque grill, I felt like a conquering king surveying the aftermath of battle. The bill (accompanied by a tankard of sweet rice wine) came to £10…

No comments:

Post a Comment